The problem with OEC(old earth creationist).
Let your heart be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. Hebrews 13:5
The OECs believe that God created the earth, but it took a lot longer than is stated in the word of God. This is explained by science, not anything God has said or done. This poses several problems.
1) It means that the word of God is not true! How OECs explain this is: The word of God was written and rewritten by fallible men. So there is no longer the true word of God around. It's all been lost. Who determines what is true and not true in the word of God? Fallible man? Or a perfect God?
2) They mix the findings of science (fallible man) to explain their interpretation of how God created. In most instances the theory of evolution (fallible man) is used. Now are we not telling God how to do things? Putting the laws of man, on an unlimited all powerful God, bring God down to man level. Is God limited by such laws?
3) Then we have the Big Bang. The Big Bang theory (fallible man) tries to explain the creation by way of science. God spoke things into existence. Big Bang says that he did not and that it all happened in a scientific way (fallible man). Can someone explain the limitations of being able to speak things into existence? Remember, before you try to answer in a scientific manner, you have to be able to observe this power of creation to know it's limitations (if there is any).
4) In saying that God used evolution to create man, because he never said he created all things in complete form, is calling God an ape! God said he made "man" in his own image. God did not say: a child, an animal, a plant, a single cell organism etc... A full grown human man. And if according to evolution, man was first an ape. Then would that not also make God an ape? And since evolution is speciation, how is God supposed to evolve into what we are now? I am not going to heaven to worship an ape! And those who believe OEC, what will be there when you get there? Truly, God is what He created, so what will it be?
5) OECs agree with science that the earth is old because of how far the stars are away from our planet, and how long it takes for light to travel that far. I can see were someone can be confused on this. But actually it very simple. When God created, he created the light before he created the object that produced the light. In Genesis 1:3-5 we see this.
3. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
And then in Genesis 1:14-15 we see more light being created. We also see lights(more than one) in the firmament. Then the stars to produce this are added later.
14. And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15. And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
And then in Genesis 1:16-19 we see the objects that produce light being made. And because these objects are producing light, God no longer has to produce light so he intern makes the light from these objects separate for day and night. The sun, moon and stars are made. But again the light was already there.
16. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18. And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
So we see that God created the "light" before he created the objects that produced them. Which means the light from these objects did not have to travel for billions of years to reach earth. The light was already there. Where did the light come from? Because God is light he was able to create light from himself. Then you might ask: How did the light produced from him travel out to the stars that he created? Because God is the alpha and omega(beginning and end), everything he creates is also from the beginning to end. Which means: the light That God created from himself (the beginning or alpha) reached to the end(omega) of the universe instantly. Because the light from God is perfect light.... Then you might also ask how did earth cool down so quick so God could create all these other things to live? Here again the alpha and omega come in. He created which took heat(Alpha) and then cooled it(omega). When you apply what God is, alpha and omega, to all that science cannot explain. It all becomes simple. God can start(alpha) and finish(omega) something at the same time. Just like when he created man in his own image. He started and finished, and there was nothing left undone in his creation. No evolution needed here.
psalm's 27:1 The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
psalm's 104:2 Who coverest [thyself] with light as [with] a garment: etc...
How many times have we heard about someone who has died and the light they saw pierced their soul? It was so bright they could not look at it. But they could feel love and warmth from it. God's Perfect light.
Here's a link that goes into more detail on OEC and Science: http://www.yecheadquarters.org/catalog1.7.html
The power of God's word. In our attempt, as man, trying to find truth in God's word. We often forget that God's word is truth. God's power is in God's word. So when we replace God's word and use the excuse that man's truth and ideas are better and more truthful, then we are denying the power of God through denying his word and the truth of it. For all the ideas that man would replace God's word with they cannot prove themselves as truth. Man's truths become theories. And those theories replace God's word. Does this replacement bring us closer to God? Or closer to man? And what do we prove by saying that man is smarter than God? Or should I say: What are we trying to prove by saying man is smarter than God? So lets replace His word with our words and ideas.
32. Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
33. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Matthew 10:32-33
To deny the truth is to also deny the power of God's word. You also deny God and the Son of God. And in turn he will deny you.
5. Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 2 Timothy 3:5
12. If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 2 Timothy 2:12
16. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. Titus 1:16
Reprobate mind, is a curse that God puts onto people who deny God and choose to believe this denial more than God himself or his word. To be of reprobate mind, is to not know the difference between what is right(the truth of God's word) or what is wrong(the ideas of man). Abominable: Something that causes intense disgust. To be a Reprobate: someone who pursues evil rather than good. The truth has been shown from God's word. What excuse is there for changing it? Will the excuse be a Godly one that God will accept? Or one that is made up of man's ideas that God will not accept? There will be no excuse for denying God, His word, the truth of His word, the power of His word or another part of it. And when the price is paid for doing so, was it really worth it? Do we really think that a person who denies these things will be able to enter Heaven?